expr:content='data:blog.isMobile ? "width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0,minimum-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0" : "width=1100"' name='viewport'/> Lydia Gilbert's blog: Abducted Ese speaks out, wants to remain in Kano

Wednesday 2 March 2016

Abducted Ese speaks out, wants to remain in Kano


A teenager, who was kidnapped
from Bayelsa State to Kano, Ese
Oruru, said on Monday she was
not interested in reuniting with
her family, claiming she was not
abducted from her home.
In an exclusive audio recording
obtained by PREMIUM TIMES

on Monday, the girl also said
she came to Kano to convert to
Islam.
“My name is Aisha Chuwas. I
am 17-year-old. I came here to
be a Muslim and I will stay
here,” she said in the audio.
The recording appeared a
conversation between Miss
Oruru and a police interrogator
in Kano.
A human rights lawyer,
Huwaila Mohammed, who was
given access to the girl at the
Zonal Police Headquarters in
Kano, said upon interrogation,
she understood the girl was
never forced to convert to
Islam.
“I was there to protect her
rights,” Ms. Mohammed said.
“When I approached her
initially, she refused to talk to
me. Later she opened up to me.
“She is very defiant. She told me
she was born in February 1999.
I personally wanted her to
reunite with her family, but
surprisingly she asked me to tell
her mother that she will never
return to Bayelsa.

No comments: